Saturday, July 9, 2016

Failed rescues and the failure of sheltering

I'm against animal rescue, at least, many forms of it. We all do it wrong, and we should learn to discern the wrong from the right.

I'll start with myself. I have more failed attempts at rescue than successes. I hate 'rescuing' and will avoid it every chance I get.

Rescuing is based on false premises: that the animal/child/helpless is
...helpless (usually not)
...better off with you (not, you're only displacing it)
... is unaffected by the change (usually devastated by the lack of routine and breaking of established habits and environment)
... is being saved from something or someone (from the perspective of the animal it is being imprisoned for later  execution & possible consumption)
... you're a hero (you're just a moron who jumps to self-exhalting conclusions and thought poorly of everyone around, including your animal)

Take my rescue of yesterday:
I thought the rain & draught would hamper the feral kit's survival. Loss of sibling meant loss of body warmth, core temperature dropping, and moving it closer would make it easier to heal. It would have access to a hot water bottle, food and water.

But none of that happened: rain never bothered the kitten, body temperature was good and didn't change/improve indoors, I didn't get to heal it as Chandni was very ill, kit didn't want the hot water bottle, food or securitty amd left after it satisfied it's curiosity. I could have caged it and forced it to accept my benevolence, but how bloody-minded and cruel that is.

Now the situation is a hundred times worse. I broke it's mom-established routine, it had gone off in a new direction to explore as kittens do, hasn't found it's way back, has no food sources, and is possibly in hostile different cat territory.

This is how it is for every free  animal gaily deposited by 'animal lovers' into shelters all over the world. The only animals that 'settle down' into longterm shelters are abandoned pets - already dependent animals with no survival skills.


No comments:

Post a Comment